Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

There are so many magpies and crows now that they are becoming a right nuisance and are also raiding the nests of smaller birds, killing their young or eating eggs.The call for tougher licencing laws on killing these predators will cause an imbalance in the avian populations; they have very few natural predators ans smaller birds will gradually die out if they are left to breed in such large numbers. I hope that your hen recovers soon, can you fit a bumpa bit to the other bird to stop her pulling out the new feathers?

I agree magpies are a nuisance.

Noisy bullies.

Earlier, a starling was collecting my soft, fluffy chickens feathers only to be bombed by a magpie. 

A black bird also got jumped on by a magpie, not to mention a poor baby blue tit on it's maiden flight, snapped out of the sky by a huge beak.

Then they were making so much noise at 4.15 am the other day and again this morning.

And don't even get started on the wood pigeons..... 

Um, my lot used to hang around under birds nests in the old house. Fledgling blue tit and robin tug of war is not a very nice sight.  But that is the nature of the birds.  Small birds will hatch babies to match predation in the area.  Even woodpeckers will reach into nest boxes.  It's just the way of things and nature is both beautiful and downright horrible at the same time!  But the balance is maintained.  They didn't survive with our help before so they are quite able to deal with life.  But the worst thing in the whole world for all species is Man.

On a brighter note, birds visiting garden feeders are adapting to them - the great tit now has developed a longer beak to get to the food!  

We did Clare having watched a video. No problems going it in past but Penny is very good at getting them off. Either that or we didn't fit properly. Size 25mm seems big. Can you get another size? 

I am concerned that one day the garden will be full of magpies like Hitchcock Birds. Lol

Yes, there are all sorts of sizes available, the smaller ones tend to snap when you stretch them though, so you need to be careful with the pliers.

Cotswold chickens has smaller ones and will send therm out if you ring up.

Yes that's where we looked . Will give them a call

We’ve also got Magpie and Wood Pigeon over population.  Ive been told this is because the Red Kites which we now have have chased away the Sparrowhawk which used to control them.   The Red Kites are magnificent, but in some places near us are becoming a real nuisance, mainly because people feed them.   

Do you ever regret not having your phone to hand when your animals do something funny. OH found some other devices on BHWT which are like blinkers and so much easier to fit.than bumpa bits.  Penny wasnt impressed with our efforts at the bumpa bits and got them off in minutes. We fitted them in past to a hen with a wonky beak (like Rod Hulls emu) no problem

Anyway one morning this week having fitted this gadget and feeling happy with ourselves we sat having coffee in garden (actually wasnt raining) watching Penny and Floss free range. Floss has been unwell and is hopefully on mend - laying again after moult and her new bum feathers are growing back so we didnt want Penny pecking her and drawing blood again.

So there we are watching Penny with her blinkers. Floss comes up stops short and stares intently at Penny. She looks away and then stares again and you can imagine the conversation  would not be unlike a mum staring at her teenage daughters skirt the size of a belt. " what the hell are you wearing? that really isnt your colour you know" we were laughing so much . 

Floss then walks off looking bemused. Penny has got used to her new device. I found a video on You Tube of a line of hens with these things. Obviously all peckers. 

• Haha 1

Do you ever regret not having your phone to hand when your animals do something funny. OH found some other devices on BHWT which are like blinkers and so much easier to fit.than bumpa bits.  Penny wasnt impressed with our efforts at the bumpa bits and got them off in minutes. We fitted them in past to a hen with a wonky beak (like Rod Hulls emu) no problem

Anyway one morning this week having fitted this gadget and feeling happy with ourselves we sat having coffee in garden (actually wasnt raining) watching Penny and Floss free range. Floss has been unwell and is hopefully on mend - laying again after moult and her new bum feathers are growing back so we didnt want Penny pecking her and drawing blood again.

So there we are watching Penny with her blinkers. Floss comes up stops short and stares intently at Penny. She looks away and then stares again and you can imagine the conversation  would not be unlike a mum staring at her teenage daughters skirt the size of a belt. " what the hell are you wearing? that really isnt your colour you know" we were laughing so much . 

Floss then walks off looking bemused. Penny has got used to her new device. I found a video on You Tube of a line of hens with these things. Obviously all peckers. 

Sorry not sure could do that as not very good at technology. If you look at Youtube "anti pecking visors" by Farm pride you will see the lovely girls sporting their new shades. 

Sorry mods please delete my post which I seem to have managed to post again. Told you I was a technophobe.