Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Love them or loathe them but it's quite cool that the next PM is going to be a woman again. I am absolutely, totally not against men..... I love 'em, my family has a lot of them! But, I think it's an exciting time for women in Britain. Female Queen, female PM, female First Minister of Scotland.( Please add to my very sp"Ooops, word censored!" list) I don't necessarily like them all but I am excited about what I think will be a new era in politics.

Spent yesterday evening in Porto, watching footie on big screen with a huge, polite, sitting down in the main square crowd, can you believe it :shock: watched second half in a restaurant punctuated by some wild screaming, especially from well dressed wife and mother out with her husband and daughter :D Walked home accompanied by car horns blaring, the city partied till dawn. Can't wait till Sunday night :D

Sounds just like home.

Walked over to girls this morning and on the lawn was half a rat. Bottom half and tail was no where to be seen. Quite macabre. Suspect cats eyes were bigger than his tummy. :vom: Said cat has just walked over laptop and made a new word "poooooooooooooojk" probably Polish? Stupid animal.

Awful night - OH and ES in Bristol looking at new flat. At 1.30 am work up to an awful smell in bedroom. Not burning but I felt nauseous and disorirentated. Windows open as hot. Went downstairs to check cats - ok, no alarms going off. Nothing on fire. went back up stairs and opened sky light of en suite and could see smoke round back of next door. Went downstairs and into dark garden and plodded over lawn squashing several snails en route :shock: and peared over fence - as you do. Could see lights on and suspect they were smoking some evil smelling substance or having a very smelly barbie. I know they were awake as I saw light going on and off. Having satisfied myself the place wasnt on fire I plodded back to bed - checked on YS who was dead to the world. This morning am tired and still nauseous, YS has hacking cough which he didnt have yesterday - hes an asthmatic so swimming is out today. I know the smell of weed and it wasnt that. I dread to think what it was. wasnt burning electrics and animals have much keener sense of smell than us. Our neighbour is a bright city lad but keeping house is not his strong point. Their front lawn is unmowable as so long. His mum wont be pleased when she comes back from India :roll: What I would give for a good nights sleep ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Good work mullethunter!

I've just spent a lovely afternoon watching Andy Murray win Wimbledon again :clap:

My 3 year old gave me a very stern look at the end of the match, wagged his finger at me and said "No more Tellis Mummy, no more!!"

That's told me :roll:

Let's hope he's more of a 'Tellis' fan by next year.

We saw Ronaldo on the touch line on the big screen shouting and gesturing, and pushing his team mate back onto the pitch when he was trying to come off with an injury after the goal, but we hadn't realised he was also pushing the coach around from time to time, he was so wrapped up in it, trying to do everything to win even tho he wasn't on the pitch :shock: It was a terrible game, but humbling to be in the crowd in our local country town, outdoors. We were surrounded by kids and teenagers, running round or sitting quietly and watching. No drinking, just a really happy family atmosphere with just as many girls and women as boys and men. They went bananas when the whistle went, linking arms, singing and happy, whilst cars drove round and round, horns blaring. I feel so pleased for everybody here and to have been a very small part of it. Friends are staying, he is an ex-pro footballer, so it's special for them as well, something to remember.

Just had an air conditioning unit fitted in our bedroom :D . We live on the junction of two busy roads so it will be so nice to sleep with the windows closed in the summer. We both like a cold bedroom and my OH suffers with terrible insomnia partly because he is a smoker I think but it is his character too, ED is the same. I am starting to suffer with the dreaded hot flushes so I am really hoping for some good solid nights of sleep now.

The unit Is so quiet too :D, not the prettiest bit of decor for the room but oh so welcome, now bring on the summer :P

So jealous! It's been 35oC at Uni for the last few months and we've all been dying. The city is in a shallow valley so not much wind, my tower fan has been a god send.

Landed in the UK tonight and it's so nice to be home. Gary (the cat I brought home from Slovakia last year) ran and hid when I got home but I sat on the sofa and he's been glued to me for an hour :mrgreen:

I'm organising some events this weekend and the most important part (knives) that I ordered a month ago haven't arrived! :evil: I've sent a strongly worded email and will visit the company en route to Wales tomorrow.

Bet you are glad to be back in chilly old Blighty then Lewis :shock: . Sounds like a lovely reunion with Garry the cat, would love to see a photo of him, I remember him being a very handsome chap. :D .

I hope that your knives arrive in time, some companies are so good at speedy delivery in this internet shopping age but others are hopeless.

We both slept well last night and it looks like we will be getting one day of summer on Tuesday to give it a real test, then back to cool and cloudy :roll: . We do feel bad that the weather turned as soon as we started looking into getting air conditioning back in May. All I can do is apologise for the cancellation of summer. :?

As some of you know, I have a house in Derby. My house is (finally) close to being sold. The prospective buyer (whose offer I have accepted), went around yesterday for a final look at the house, and found a note on the gas meter. The note, quite alarmingly read "DANGER DO NOT USE WARNING NOTICE Meter Capped"

This left me very confused, I have left the house secured when I last visited in December. After a lot of phone calls to my gas provider (who also had no idea what was going on and why the meter had been capped). National Grid Gas decided to send an engineer around to find out why it had been capped (who arrived within an hour!) The engineer said that it had been capped as there was a leak in the system somewhere.

Then today, I received all the letters that had been sent/left at my house in Derby. One of them says that my property has been entered and my gas meter changed to a prepayment one. This is due to a very large (several hundred pounds) outstanding balance, which I do not owe because the property is empty.

So, my meter was changed, this caused the pilot light on the boiler to go out (the heating was on a very low setting for about a hour a day to prevent any pipes from freezing), which means gas was escaping so the meter was capped to prevent any further escape.

On talking to my energy provider today, they have no record of any warrant being applied for (they do note the meter was changed), which means they have entered my property with no legal power to do so, or with my permission, and changed the meter. As you can imagine, I am very annoyed about this, but the department I need to speak to are not in until Monday....

OH found a sloughed off snakeskin this morning. Each end disappears into a hole in the garden steps :shock: Its about a foot long, with a diamond pattern on it, and just about a large centimetre in diameter, so quite small. He poked it out with a stick and its currently residing inside waiting to show a young visitor :D

One of my boys was Baptised on Sunday. I'm quite pleased because I'm utterly faithless. I have been since walking out of church one day as a little girl and feeling quite empty.

The reason I'm pleased is that although that is my view I tried to raise my kids with minds of their own and I taught them about different faiths but I was always worried that I had been too dismissive of any kind of belief for them to be comfortable with it.

So he has found his faith and it's making a difference to him and that is a good thing. We went to see him being baptised and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would and it really felt like it meant something.

Does that all make sense?

I'm going on holiday for three weeks on Monday, and whilst I'm away the chooks are going to my mums. They'll be inside her electric fence with her big girls (hybrids), but will be shut in their old house which is an Eglu Go with 3m run. I feel really mean because they're now used to a Cube with run attached to a 3 x 2 WIR. :(

It's a few years since we went away on holiday but the guilt of leaving the animals behind always prayed on my mind.

Having said that, they will be fine. It's not for long and you know that your Mum will take good care of them.

Hope you have a great time- try not to worry! :D