Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

My ED is off to New Zealand in about 6 weeks, she will spend a couple of weeks on North island then another couple of weeks on South Island. She is then off to Australia for another month or so then home for Christmas. She is doing the majority of the trip alone staying in hostel, I am full of admiration for her, but worried for her too. Her dad thinks that she is bonkers and would stop her if he could, but thankfully he can't. My OH is not the most adventurous sort. :roll:

Sounds like great fun :D

My brother did 3 months travelling on his own around Asia last year and loved it; my cousin did 2 years in Australia and had a great time. She's been over in the UK with her boyfriend for 2 years and is going back to Aus in a few weeks.

Lots of my friends have moved all over the world for travelling and work, mostly all by themselves.

Chickencam I travelled all over on my own at various times between the ages of 17 and 24 for times from a few weeks to a year. I'm 5'2" and slight and my dad was always worried about me, and specifically that my backpack would pull me over and I'd be stuck on my back like a beetle :lol:

But I was fine and had a brilliant time, and your girl will too :D

Played Scrabble tonight. Only one rude word from ES meaning poo and beginning with "C". :shock: my dad kept trying to put in German words he'd learnt in RAF. In fact I am not sure they were real words. ES then tried his luck with "yo" and "bruv" :shock: I honestly the youngsters today. His ex girlfriend was brilliant at scrabble. She despaired of his words like boob or tit :roll: great fun thou.

We were away last week, but knew there had been a major forest fire about 5 miles from us, which devastated 800 hectares (nearly 2000 acres). We have charcoal blown in on one part of the garden and right now you can still smell the fire - the wind must be in the wrong direction. However, we only saw it today for the first time. 95% of the damage is forest, the rest is olive groves and allotments in the valleys. We are remote and in very hilly terrain, but the fire threatened 3 small villages and a hamlet. As far as we can see no houses were lost and we know no firefighters were killed. But it is utter devastation, on roads we use every week. I felt quite sick, and very sad, and right now I can't praise the fire service highly enough. We drove behind convoy of them at midnight on Sunday, they never stop helping. Most are volunteers, OH was interested in joining up earlier this year but he is too old! Apparently 50% of the forest fires inEurope this year have been in Portugal which isn't surprising as we haven't seen rain except one or two light night showers since the end of May. Feeling rather chastened at the moment :(

Blasted heron has punctured my pond liner despite having netting over it. Got up to find the netting under the water which was half gone & the loss of 3 fish.

The cost of a replacement liner will hurt but not half as much as the effort & hassle of doing it.....my backs aching just looking at the task ahead :boohoo:

Sorry to hear that ChooksRCute - if you can find the hole/tear is there any chance you could patch it? That would still be a big job but MUCH easier (I would think) than completely replacing the liner (specially as you won't need to drop the water level much more than it already is)? If the hole isn't too huge butyl tape by itself would do it, if it's a bigger hole a patch of liner held in place with butyl tape should fix it and do a very satisfactory job?

Good luck!

Morning Bramble

Yes I was thinking the same, but we were watching the water level continue to drop yesterday so had to make the decision to move the fish into a paddling pool. Pumped some water out from pond for them & the rest has disappeared overnight...so the decisions made to give it a good old clean out & appraise the damage. Our thoughts are to make the pond deeper, the liner/pond is 20 odd years old so maybe due a rethink!

Is arachnophobia heriditary? YS of 15 came into my room last night and asked me do a check of shower for arachnids. The night before he had found one and sprayed deodorant on it :shock: so at least it died smelling nice :lol: he couldnt removed the corpse so I had too. :roll: Only ask as my mum hated them but they never knew her. I am not keen but had to remove them when I lived alone. I am terrified of snakes - no idea why. So if you see a blond 50 something outside reptile house at zoo - its me :D

Ali's Girls....it's something I don't understand. I have four adult kids and all brought up by me and I hate spiders and OH who doesn't give a monkeys. I shall answer methodically in order of age...

DD - is made uncomfortable by spiders but will take control of getting rid of one if necessary.

ES - pretty much the same

MS - complete meltdown

YS - doesn't give a monkeys

MS and YS are twins which makes their totally opposing reactions quite interesting.

Fingers crossed for her (and you!).

My YS has just started an MSc at Heriot Watt in Edinburgh but the modules he had chosen from the Student Guide (for this coming year) aren't available now so he was struggling to find anything to pick that wasn't marine, engineering or maths based (none of which are his areas of interest). He's going to withdraw from the Uni. I'm really cross with them, he wouldn't have applied if he'd know those modules weren't an option :evil: .

He's going to apply to another uni which he'd considered in the first place (he picked Heriot Watt as it's supposed to be one of the "better" universities :roll: ).

freshers week, freshers flu - they ring you and they are all snotty and croaky. :roll: Report shower - dont want to burn or get frostbite. Hope its flatter terrain than Bristol. OH and I weekended in Cambridge - sooo flat but lots of cobbles - and far tooo many bikes. My ES visited Cambridge as a choice of uni and couldnt take to it so I think they have to feel good about a place. Good luck Bria - sorry got name wrong. xx