Lavenders_Blue

**Thread of little facts & things**....3

Gosh, how dramatic,it must have been a real worry for both of you :shock: is this the time to tell you my SIL, who lived by Lake Malawi for 6 months, once had a close encounter with a black mambo in the shower :shock:

Yesterday we had a bonfire. It had got to the pile of ash stage and I was poking it with a stick. Cue fringe singe :shock: only noticed when I looked in the mirror, but it certainly explained the stink of sewers which was following me around :lol:

I hadn't heard of this book, so thanks for alerting me! However, reading reviews makes me feel I might not be up to it :shock: when I am feeling brave I may download it onto the kindle, i wonder if it captures the 'saudade, the feeling of melancholy which is part of the Portuguese soul, the reviews I saw made the book out to be a lot more mysterious and difficult and original than the things I usually read, so I'm sure it would do me good :lol:

I decided to put the stress I'm under to good use and decorated the lounge and sitting room. My mum only ever use Brilliant White in every room, OH's dad an Arfur Daley of the Cypriot world loved a bargain and their house was lime green inside 8) you needed shades to sit there and it made you bililous. Between us we manage to agree on a colour scheme and experiment with colour - room is Natural Calico with 2 terrocaotta chimney breasts, kitchen olive green, sons room is cream , others is 2 shades of blue (his choice) and our room chocolate and cream. I am knackered and every bone aches still a second coat to do but its nice to be off work although weather is pants. Anyway now having a brew and catch on Omlet. :D

Our bedroom, not decorated by us, is olive green with wood floors and ceiling. It was teamed with orange curtains, I can't tell you how horrible I found the combo, but since I found a pair of cream curtains it has been transformed, and now it's a grown up room, all very restful. I put the orange curtains in a room which used to be in your face green, but is now white, and they look right at home as well :D I think being happy and comfortable with your surroundings is so important, it really affects my moods.

It's very quiet isn't it? Has anyone got superstitions about death. Today at work we saw a robin in the garden , my colleagues said it was the sign of a deceased loved one visiting ( one colleague is Asian the other Portuguese) this is new one on me. I googled it and it's quite well known. We have a robin a lot in our garden. My uncle died in Dec so it's nice to think about it. I never see a white feather the sign of an angel visitation. We have all lost someone recently.

It's very quiet isn't it? Has anyone got superstitions about death. Today at work we saw a robin in the garden , my colleagues said it was the sign of a deceased loved one visiting ( one colleague is Asian the other Portuguese) this is new one on me. I googled it and it's quite well known. We have a robin a lot in our garden. My uncle died in Dec so it's nice to think about it. I never see a white feather the sign of an angel visitation. We have all lost someone recently.

How strange you should mention about the robin, the other lunchtime a colleague and I went for a walk as it was nice and we saw a robin and she said the same thing.

The forum is very quiet, I popped on last night and there were no new posts in the Nest Box, I don't remember that happening before.

Chrissie

I've never heard that before, perhaps I will ask (try to) locally. I don't really like the thought tbh, robins have always seemed such cheery and friendly little birds to me, popping up whilst you are digging in the garden at times when no other bird is to be seen. Although thinking about it, I don't think I've actually seen one here in Portugal :( The other thing is I used to really hate that story about 'who killed cock robin' it really upset me as a child, and I think I must still have some of the same sort of feeling, I prefer to think of them happy, hale and hearty. I didn't think this would turn out to be so serious :lol:

It's a new one on me too.

I had heard about the feather being a sign of an angel, although with 6 chickens and 2 cockatiels if we did have an angel come calling he/she would have to find a different calling card :)

While we are on the theme though, a Romanian colleague once told me that if the weather is nice on the day of a funeral it means the deceased was happy to go, whereas if the weather is bad then it means they went before they were ready. :(

You've probably hit the nail on the head there...

I don't bother with Social Media. I pootle about on Pinterest but that's a mainly solitary activity. I suppose I'm just antisocial :lol:

I miss the forums busy days though. I remember when it was a struggle to keep up with posts!

I was at a course for work at the Marine Biological Association today. I really enjoy my job, but marine biology was always my first love, and being there made me wish I'd stuck out for it. Just wanted to say that in case anyone's wondering whether to give up on what they really want to do - just give it one more try :D

I was at a course for work at the Marine Biological Association today. I really enjoy my job, but marine biology was always my first love, and being there made me wish I'd stuck out for it. Just wanted to say that in case anyone's wondering whether to give up on what they really want to do - just give it one more try :D

That's Rosie's job of choice!

Good that you're able to get back into it from time to time. Let me know if you need an intern/work experience bod.

Minding our own business , drink in hand, on patio at 6.15 Saturday evening, when a load of muck was delivered next door. It stands 6ft high and 20 foot long and would grace any stable yard :vom: Cue rush indoors, and a renaming of our house 'Pooh View' :lol: