Cat tails

Don't leave me this waaay!!!!

Well, I didn't get my wish for a definite decision one way or the other :(.

Have a nasty feeling we may be back doing it all again in 12 months or so, if the powers that be feel they can negotiate a good enough deal to swing the vote the other way. May be just cynical after too little sleep, but there seemed to be a lot of folks on the news using the "if" word ...

On the up-side, we had a busy day at the polling station, with more than double the number of voters we had in May and a lot of young first-timers coming with their families :D. Also had two little tots that I'd spoken to in May that came running to me to give me a hug :angel:, and three people that brought their dogs :shock:. I didn't ask ... :lol:

Sounds like Cameron has resigned!!!! I half expected him to, as the result s against his beliefs,and he's been lukewarm lately, but I didn't expect him to go so soon. Dog, I hope that Boris doesn't get in.. The man's an eejit!

Do any of the other old timers remember the heated debates on here in the early days? We had to ban any threads about politics, religion and fox hunting!!!! :lol:

David Cameron has said he will stay on until October, he has not resigned as of today.

There won't be a further referendum - 52:48 is decisive, the country has voted to exit the EU but it is going to take at least two years before we see much change.

Yes, Dogmother, I remember it well ... hence my plea above to 'play nicely'! :lol: We have had some very heated debates in the past, I am pleased that while there are strong views, generally people are willing to be a bit more moderate in expressing them these days. I'm inclined to Christian's view though that politics (I thought it was sex, not salary!) and religion should never be discussed in public. Facebook traffic over the last week or so has been unbearable.

Good fer you! Apart from heated debates via IM with Rosie and OH, I really can't summon up the energy for a rant today... It's 31deg in the shade for Dog's sake :roll::lol:

There's no doubt that we are in for interesting times though, and there is no-one in politics at the moment that I would care to hang my coat on. I grew up on top level politics, and try to stay apolitical and out of it these days :oops:

I am feeling very shocked & quite tearful.

In our situation - moving to France in 2 months - this was the worst possible outcome.

Am going to migrate to the living room with industrial amounts of coffee & binge watch 'Orange is the new Black' today I think :|

I thought of you, Cinnamon, and wondered how it would affect you :? .

I was really shocked by the result (as was most of Scotland, it seems). I'm not too happy about it as the majority of us north of the border voted to stay in the EU but rather than moan and complain I just hope that everyone on both sides puts aside their differences and works together to make the best of it.

I can't bear the thought of another Scottish referendum, it was so horrible last time :cry: .

I am devastated at the result. not going to offend anyone but cant wait for Scottish referendum. Will def vote for independence this time and hopefully be part of the EU again. Dreadful to think that the young have been dragged out of Europe by the old who clearly have an axe to grind. Apologies in advance if I have caused offence. Ax

I suppose the youngsters have known nothing else my kids included. I work in NHS and we are swamped and its getting worse. Nothing against foreign workers - I have several good colleagues who I count as friends who without them our surgery would sink. In fact theres only 3 of us who are British born and bred the rest are a mish mosh of all nationalities. However we are a little island and I dont think we could cope much longer. Schools and health care are a mess. Thats all I'm gonna say.

I didn't get to vote in 1975 and I've coped the then adults decision and now I get to make my choice.

There are many young people for whom an out vote will be a godsend. I see so many youngsters putting themselves through Trade College or HGV courses and so on only to find there is no work. I voted for them.

OH showed me the driver list where he works and out of roughly fifty names only five were English.

The job vacancies never reach our kids, they are advertised directly abroad. That is why I voted out. I feel so bad for British youth who are fighting against this system.

I totally agree Jude... And I am the grandchild of migrants!

Sadly, our economy isn't strong enough to support such a massive influx of non-native workers such as we are seeing right now; the jobs are there, but not the infrastructure to support them and their families. It's a hard choice for employers too when there are so many jobs which British workers turn down as they would rather be in the dole than doing something they don't like. We see that a lot where I live as there are a lot of manual shift jobs, and one friend who is a major employer says that the Brits won't touch anything that they consider hard work, so he has to offer the jobs to the most willing candidates... Who aren't English. Some people have a very poor work ethic!

I'm worried about how much more difficult it'll be for me to get a placement or a job after uni, not to mention the macroeconomic implications. Also I'm concerned about my friends from the EU who study here and those that live on the Northern Irish/Irish border and Gibraltar :cry:

Angry and worried for the future.

Not going to say any more than that...except...

On Radio Two they were suggesting some people think 'older people are to blame because they are more likely to vote than younger people' - all I can say to that is if that is what 'younger' people think, how can they possibly lay the blame at anyone other than the other 'younger people' who couldn't be bothered to vote and just assumed everyone else would sort it out for them :evil:

We have to move on and make it work but I'm sad. 25 years ago I did technology development as part of EU work. Incredibly democratic process and paid for by our sponsoring companies not member states. Continue to be proud to be part of that.

And I will be very sad to see border controls come back in Northern Ireland :cry:

Forgive me if I've got my facts wrong and I'm writing this as sensitively as I can but I thought that Scotland would have to reapply for membership of the EU and as we all know that would be a long process. If Scotland votes for independence then they'd be completely alone. That sounds very risky and wouldn't that cause issues with the roughly third of Scottish people who voted out?

Also regarding young people being angry with the vote I saw a voting breakdown which showed that only 36% of 18-24 year olds actually voted. They should be angry with their peer group instead of older people.

I've stopped getting my information from the BBC who love a bit of doom and gloom and aren't bothering to report any positive news....and there is positive news.

I can't wait for the dust to settle. FTSE was back up at the end of the week by the way.

I'm just a simple housewife who follows my gut instinct and I think it won't be as bad as it may seem. It's going to be years before anything is decided.

Also regarding young people being angry with the vote I saw a voting breakdown which showed that only 36% of 18-24 year olds actually voted. They should be angry with their peer group instead of older people.

I must have seen a different breakdown to you, because the percentage was much, much higher :shock:

If it is in fact just 36% then that is a very sad outcome indeed. All of my daughters friends & young friends I work with voted, & all of them voted remain.

My Father voted to leave, & I KNOW its because he wants ,& I quote, 'all these people who come here & steal our jobs' to leave.

This makes me sad beyond belief.

I was awake most of Thursday night/Friday morning. Friday was one of the worst days of my life, yesterday wasn't much better. I have lived and worked in mainland Europe on and off since 1990. Willow, I might even have met you. I feel furious that my work/life choices are likely to be curtailed, furious that young people might not be able to experience the life affirming, culture sharing, collaborative and horizon broadening opportunities that I have, and furious about what will happen to the economy - which means life will get worse for people, not better. I feel ashamed to be British, and am fearful for my country.

With regard to Scotland, you are right it will be a long road. There will be another referendum about independence, so Leave voters can vote against it, and to stay with the UK.

My hope for good news is that somebody manages to negotiate with the European Commission/Council/Parliament very well indeed. Frankly, right this minute I find it hard to focus on much that isn't doom and gloom, we have lost our Prime Minister and probably the leader of the Labour Party, so where is the political leadership? The economy will tank in the short-medium term, we have caused trillions of dollars to be lost around the world, the Brexit politicians are either silent or backtracking on what they said. I am not sure how this can be any worse.

I totally agree Jude... And I am the grandchild of migrants!

Some people have a very poor work ethic!

Now we need an overhaul of our welfare system, those who make not working a lifestyle choice while continuing to have children and no means of paying for them.. Please don't get me wrong I think our system is fantastic for people who genuinely find themselves in a situation not of their making its the feckless ones who need taking in hand. :twisted:

We are most definitely living in a very divided country now. With the vote for remain and leave split almost down the middle and whole areas of the UK desiring a very different result, I can't see how these fractures will be healed.

I feel so depressed for our future :(

I haven't encountered any sort of celebratory mood around here. The atmosphere is very flat which leads me to wonder if many people voted in protest against the EU without expecting or hoping for the leave campaign to win.