Cat tails

Don't leave me this waaay!!!!

I am an unashamed OUT! I feel that we, as a nation, are loosing our identity. I will say no more as I know its an emotive issue but feel so proud to be British and want to continue that feeling of independence.

OH is in The States this week (he did a postal vote!) ans says that coverage there is a bit patchy......but there does sem to be 'sympathy' for the UK retaining independance.....Friday will be interesting :think:

I wondered if anyone would risk this topic!

I am IN. This country already feels far more right wing than I'd like and I think that without the mitigating influence of the EU it would be even worse. I also think the environment would suffer massively if we were to leave.

At the moment I agree with everyone else - it's hard to call the outcome. I also agree that apathy and low turnout will have a massive effect. It feels like out though.

I wondered if anyone would risk this topic!

I am IN. This country already feels far more right wing than I'd like and I think that without the mitigating influence of the EU it would be even worse. I also think the environment would suffer massively if we were to leave.

At the moment I agree with everyone else - it's hard to call the outcome. I also agree that apathy and low turnout will have a massive effect. It feels like out though.

Ditto. I couldn't have put it any better.

I'm so sick of the campaigning. I don't think the tone has helped engage many people. It feels to me as though politics has hit a new low.

Somebody said that when the day to vote comes and you're really not decided then spin the question round in your mind and imagine that the vote is asking if you want to join the EU now. It does make it easier to reach a decision.

I'm voting out, not for myself but for all the kids putting themselves through Trade college and apprenticeships who already struggle to get work.

Somebody said that when the day to vote comes and you're really not decided then spin the question round in your mind and imagine that the vote is asking if you want to join the EU now.

IMHO that somebody is suggesting a leave vote. An alternative question if you are not decided... Is it really that bad if you can't decide, isn't the grass always greener on the other side?

Im not sure if apathy will decide it, my fear is that the people that will definitely turn out are the ones swayed by the extreme views, I'm thinking of some of the racist and extremist views bandied around.

Just a polite reminder that this sort of topic can lead to strong opinions and polemics - nothing wrong with any of the posts above, please continue to play nicely! :D

I'm undecided - when the referendum was announced I was certain that I knew what I'd be voting but now I'm less sure. I think the campaigning on both sides has been disgraceful - too much negative focus and scary stories and too few facts.

Playing nicely, I promise :lol:!

We seem to have been hearing about nothing else since xmas and, although it's a big deal, I suspect I'm not alone in being thoroughly bored with it now. Too many egos and not enough factual information! I have however already exercised my postal vote and will be working at a polling station tomorrow.

Whatever the outcome, my hope is that it is decisive, as per the Scottish referendum. 60/40% whichever direction would be fine. The very worst of all worlds would be a 49/51% vote either way.

Perhaps we should have asked the rest of Europe if they wanted to keep us ... :shock:

The bookies were offering 3/1 on leaving this morning so it looks like they think it will be a vote for remain. I'm still torn, which at this late stage is starting to get silly.

My MP called round last night to try to persuade us to vote remain. They must be worried to venture from the posh part of the city. I was so shocked I couldn't think of anything to ask her.

I do know a lot of people who are wavering even at this late stage.....there are so many arguments for and against that its difficult to see the wood for the trees and 'Joe Public' has been bamboozled from all sides! I have given up the newspapers this week as I've had more than enough!

And, in reality, in spite of the arguments/scaremongering from both sides, no one actually, definately knows what will happen if we go or if we stay so I am just going with my gut feeling!

As I see it, the problem is there is no precedent for this so there are no facts. Any politician, pundit or journalist who predicts that "X" will definitely happen or not happen is lying. It's just opinions, guesswork and scaremongering from both sides. It doesn't boil down to voting based on what either camp say will happen to immigration, the economy, trade agreements, etc. The vote is actually about the UK having the right to make its own decisions about these matters rather than those decisions being made by faceless bureaucrats in Brussels who we have no choice in electing.

I think you are spot on there, Princess Leia.

I understand if we vote to leave then the Swedes may have a referendum, also Denmark and Ireland, who both joined at the same time as us and purely because we did, may want to rethink their membership.

It is interesting to see the political parties split by campaigners for both leave and remain sides, lots of left wingers round here who are on the leave side.

I'm out, I made my decision when the Government first promised a referendum.

I've not been impressed with either sides campaign & I don't believe you can accurately predict the fallout from leaving or staying.

......but I know for sure if we do go out, our own government will have to pull it's socks up, stand up & be accountable for this countries future instead of scapegoating the EU.

I'm a strong In voter.

The EU isn't perfect, it needs work and we can stay with and learn from our neighbours; if we leave we will have no say over the future.

Once we leave, that's it. If you're unsure and vote to remain there can be another referendum in 5 or 10 years time when we have solid answers.

From a purely selfish point of view if we leave, my right to live and study in Europe would be affected, my qualification worthless in the UK and then my right to work in the EU will also be affected.

From a veterinary stance the BVA have reminded us we would lose our (100% EU funded) Reference Laboratories for Bovine TB and Bird Flu eradication & surveillance, farmers wouldn't receive compensation payments like they did in foot & mouth. We would have no influence over welfare at transport, slaughter, pet passports, vet medicines or even food traceability and labelling.