Ain't Nobody Here Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 I work in a special school and we are due to go back next Monday. Apparently 60% of the roof blew off and there is significant water damage to the secondary building (where I work) so all staff and pupils from that building are being relocated to an empty primary school possibly until Easter - at the other side of the city . Kids won't come back till Mon 16th, we have to go in next Monday to help with the move. My 10 min commute will now be up to an hour each way and who knows how the kids will cope - they all have autistic spectrum disorder and most don't cope well with changes to routine . I'm just praying that our lovely library which I've spent two years stocking and cataloguing isn't ruined . We've just had brand new smartboards installed too . I keep thinking of all the things that are going to be a complete nightmare - the list is endless . I can't believe the first we heard of this was a text from the headteacher today . Surely it warranted a mention on the local news ? News report added - 2nd photo down Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 Oh no ANH, that is awful news! I hope they can sort it out quickly and the library is ok? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 Oh, no! really sorry to hear this - sounds as if it's going to be a hard term for you and the children. I hope the library has survived. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 Blimey ANH what an awful thing to happen I know how important routine is to children with special needs from friends that work in special needs schools and from a friend with an autistic daughter.... Hope it won't be too traumatic for the poor children. I suppose the blessing is its happened out of term time, so no children (or adults) were injured. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clucker1 Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 I have worked with children within a special needs school and have worked with children with autism. Change to routine is very hard to manage with them...just the logistics of getting them to school in the first place. I think local coverage by TV and newspapers to see if you can get some builders to help out, they would get publicity out of it and in the meantime help a very needy cause and expedite the return of the school....so perhaps you wouldn't need interim arrangements for such a time?? Good luck! Let us know what happens and how it goes. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 Oh no, thank goodness it was the holidays and you were not back as we are. It is going to be a difficult time for staff and the children. I hope the library is ok. Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 Gosh. How awful. Thank goodness no-one was injured. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LolaLayla Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 That is terrible news. Hope the roof is repaired asap and the library is ok. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
percy049 Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 hope it gets fixed soon. A school here that had their solar panels come off the roof and smash through was on the local news! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sam Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 That's terrible news hope it gets sorted soon! hope it gets fixed soon. A school here that had their solar panels come off the roof and smash through was on the local news! Saw that on the news, wonder why the school was shut when it was just the toilets affected? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 I'm so sorry to hear that ANH, I hope that you all get back to normal soon. Than goodness you were still off and no-one was injured. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
freddie Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 What an awful thing to happen, and the kids will be thrown out of their routine, which makes your job so much harder. Hope it all is not as bad as it feels Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted January 5, 2012 Author Share Posted January 5, 2012 With apologies for the source, there's a photo (scroll down to the 2nd photo) of the damage here. Thank goodness we weren't there, that area would've been full of kids and staff at breaktimes . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 Goodness gracious ANH what a relief the school was empty Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 OMG! ANH Thank goodness noone was hurt. But what a pain for you Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sparkysmum Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 Goodness ANH, what a terrible thing to happen. I can't imagine you'll be back in quickly Some eejits set fire to a school not too far from us. Building had been there for at least a century, will have to be demolished now. Mindless eejits. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted January 5, 2012 Author Share Posted January 5, 2012 That's awful . One thing when it's natural causes but but when it's deliberate .... . Are the kids being relocated too? This map shows home (purple), where I should be working (red) and where I'll have to get to now (blue). Right through the centre of the City at rush hour, what fun . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 Am I seeing the colours wrong? Purple & red are closest on my screen! With blue by the coast........ What a horrible time for you all I hope repairs are sorted quickly Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted January 6, 2012 Share Posted January 6, 2012 Bad times As you say, at least you weren't in, hope the kids are ok with the changes. Our primary school is now joint + on same site as the special school but their school used to come to ours quite a lot to visit for cluster days etc. Colours are wrong for me too but the key is right Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted January 6, 2012 Share Posted January 6, 2012 Glad you are ok - hope the library is ok esp with all your hard work. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted January 6, 2012 Author Share Posted January 6, 2012 Whoops, quite right! I've changed it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted January 6, 2012 Share Posted January 6, 2012 Yikes, how awful for you all. My YS's friend is on the autistic spectrum and I know how important routine is to him. I hope they manage to sort it out soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sparkysmum Posted January 6, 2012 Share Posted January 6, 2012 Jings Vicki, don't envy you your cross city commute at all Re the school near us, the children have been out for almost a year in temperary huts built on the grounds of a leisure centre, So at least there is no horrible commute involved and a decision has been taken to demolish & rebuild the whole school. I hope all your schools children cope with the transition to the new premises but it will be hard for many, I'm sure. Any word about your library Alli x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted January 6, 2012 Share Posted January 6, 2012 Awful ANH. Thank goodness no-one was there. Hope it's sorted really quickly for you all. x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted January 6, 2012 Share Posted January 6, 2012 Good grief, scary stuff! Thank goodness no-one was in the school at the time. Don't envy your new commute - looks like a rotten journey Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...