patsylabrador

Horrible moment.

I'm looking for any input you might have as this forum is great for that.

I had visited the Fan Museum in Greenwich on Wednesday and got off the boat at Embankment. I'd been feeling a bit off all day, a bit weak and strangely panicky. I suddenly got a weird double vision and loss of balance. I made it to a bench and waited for it to pass but it didn't. I tried several times to stand but kept crashing into things. I've got a couple of random bruises , one on my arm from crashing into a lamppost. It sounds a bit funny now and I must have looked totally drunk.

I couldn't see to use my phone and tried and tried till it ran out of battery.

I didn't cry although I felt like it. Eventually I gave in and had to ask strangers for help. I couldn't have picked better. They were so kind. They took charge and held me to keep me warm - it had got dark & raining, and phoned home and called an ambulance.

I think everyone including me thought it was a stroke but none of the tests/scans have shown anything.

I'm back home, obviously I will have to go to my doctor to try to find out what happened.

I'm looking for answers myself and any suggestions would be good.

More than anything, Thank Goodness for the kindness of strangers. I was utterly vulnerable, it was horrible and I don't think I will go out by myself for a while.

I was going to say the same Blackrocksrock. You don't always have to have pain with migraines, usually when one is threatening my vision changes and is blurred, I am short sighted anyway but it gets far worse, I become very uncoordinated and tend to stumble around and have fallen over in the past! My sense of smell changes as if on overdrive. It is an all consuming feeling and you feel as if you lose control of your body.

I do hope you are feeling much better now and hope that you soon get to the bottom of this, at least you know it wasn't a stroke.

Amazing! Straight away. Thank you all. I have migraines a lot - the aura part, not the pain and they've been much worse since Christmas.

I think they're connected to my 'age' which being subtle here has been appalling for several months.

I think I'll push that point when I see the doctor.

Thank you, that has eased my mind considerably.

So sorry to hear about your horrible experience, J. Its scary to feel so vulnerable but thank goodness for the kindness of strangers.

I can't add anything medically but am sending good wishes for a swift diagnosis and resolution. A friend, who suffers terribly with migranes, has just been prescribed tablets which she says are wonderful and ease things considerably - I can find out what they are if it helps?

They may be sumatriptan soap dragon, I have been prescribed these for the last 10 years and never go anywhere without them. I take one and 45 mins later all symptoms have disappeared - I used to lose at least 3 days with a migraine. I also have a lower dose of these for neuralgia as i found by accident they took the pain away for this, so much so that my GP who also suffers from neuralgia tried it and they worked for her as well.

Keeping hydrated at this time of year as we can all get a little dehydrated with the heating and wood burners etc may also help.

I think possibly migraine too, the only other thing that crossed my mind was vertigo/menieres, but this usually affects your hearing and balance not sight. My OH's aunt has it.

I have had migraines in different forms since my teenage years, they are always worse at times of hormonal flux, puberty then pregnancy and breastfeeding, now coming back for the same reasons as yours I suspect. I have had a few aura ones recently and also stomach ache ones which are more common in children. I get shimmering circles like twirling frosted glass that get bigger and spread from one eye to the other which are very bizarre, not always followed by a head ache. My poor mum has suffered with then since she was a very small child and she suffered in middle age too, she was put onto calcium channel blockers for her blood pressure when she was in her late 50's and this pretty much stopped them apart from the odd aura.

I hope that you get to the bottom of this, it must have been frightening, take care but don't let it curtail you life.

What a horrible and scary experience for you.

I did have a very similar experience when I was 17. Felt off but didn't know why, tried to carry on as normal and went shopping. Began to feel incredibly odd (sick and dizzy), and managed to get home. It was a massive vertigo and panic attack combined. However, I did also suffer from both normal and ocular migraines at the time, and was going through a stressful time, which I think created a perfect storm.

Hope you get a diagnosis and are feeling better soon.

I think it sounds migrainous and possible panic as well. Usually with a stroke you cant smile or raise your arms and the fact you summoned help makes me feel its that. My mum used to have nose bleeds with her migraines, many people vomit or cant cope with light. Hope you are feeling better. Do you have high blood pressure?

Thank you everyone, you are brilliant.

I saw the doctor today and she also thinks it was migraine. I'm going to have an MRI to eliminate any doubt and proceed from there.

I had no idea that migraine could be like that.

AlisGirls, I wonder if some of it was panic and everyone kept making me smile at them and raise my arms.

My blood pressure is normal and I was watching it on the monitor during the night. The lower number was 64 at times. It went down to 56 but that only happened once.

I love my trips into London on my own but for a while OH wants me to wait until he's around. That makes sense because I think feeling stressed about something happening can make it happen.

Migraines are dreadful, I've been reading about them today and I didn't know they happen in so many forms or that so many women suffer from them.

Women have to deal with so much rubbish don't we?

I am glad you are feeling better. Amazing that people take TV ads on board. I know when my dad went funny (hes had mini strokes) the paramedics kept saying smile and raise your arms. Probably the last thing you feel like doing. So glad people are helpful - makes you feel better knowing that there are decent folk out there. :D

Sorry to hear about your scary episode Patsy, and how lovely those people were. SOunds like the TV campaign for Stroke awareness (F.A.S.T) has really worked.

Patsy, if it is migraine (and it really sounds like it is, but I am not a doctor), then having the right medication to hand and taking it as soon as you get the first inkling will make it very manageable.

I've had migraines since I was a small child. I've learned that if I start fancying cheese on toast, or a strong cheese sandwich, then a migraine is on its way. I get this craving hours befire any of the other symptoms start. (My migraine is nothing to do with cheese, it's not a migraine trigger).

Sometimes I feel very, very thirsty, and that is also an indicator that a migraine is on its way. Unlike the cheese craving, dehydration (as Ursula mentioned earlier) is one of the major causes of migraine for me.. That and my husband leaving his bedside light on overnight.

If I realise early enough that I'm getting one, I can manage it with something simple like Migraleve, which as well as painkillers has an ingredient to help stop the nausea and vomiting . Occasionally MIgraleve doesn't work for me and then I need Imigran (which is Sumatripan, and quite strong). I ALWAYS carry both.

Sorry to hear about this Jude, must have been very nasty for you :(

I concur about migraines; they can take many forms.

I 'grew into' cluster headaches about 10 years ago, and they are pretty vile. My Osteopath has really helped to lessen them, and a couple of Anadin Extra at the first sign usually shifts one. Sumatriptan makes me really sick and dizzy, and I am allergic to opiates, so my choices for meds are pretty limited. I also get the odd silent attack, when I just feel extremely tired and out of sorts, sort of other worldly, lose my balance and sometimes have trouble seeing/flashing lights. Resting helps with these.

I really hope that you get to the root of the trouble, and that it's not too serious/treatable.

Sorry to hear about this Jude, must have been very nasty for you :(

I concur about migraines; they can take many forms.

I 'grew into' cluster headaches about 10 years ago, and they are pretty vile. My Osteopath has really helped to lessen them, and a couple of Anadin Extra at the first sign usually shifts one. Sumatriptan makes me really sick and dizzy, and I am allergic to opiates, so my choices for meds are pretty limited. I also get the odd silent attack, when I just feel extremely tired and out of sorts, sort of other worldly, lose my balance and sometimes have trouble seeing/flashing lights. Resting helps with these.

I really hope that you get to the root of the trouble, and that it's not too serious/treatable.

Arg! Cluster headaches! My dad suffers from these. Luckily not all the time. But he has been keeping track and it turns out his headaches come back every 3 years and last for about 2 months.

Thank you for your input everyone.

The good news is that the NHS has been phenomenal and tested my brain and heart for anything out of sorts. Everything is good and it turns out that I have one of each. As suspected my brain is full of wet sawdust and dancing unicorns but that's something I have to live with.

I've been googling like crazy and have learned a lot more about how hormones can screw you up.

I think I just have to bide my time, look after myself and hope everything settles down soon.

I'm paying more attention to keeping my blood sugar levels up and keeping hydrated.

I still feel odd if I think about 'the event' in London so I don't think about it.

It really is complicated being a woman.

We've got an exciting month coming up, first we're seeing BabyMetal at Wembley, then we're going to France, then we're GOING TO JAPAN! I'm so looking forward to seeing ES, he's got some days off so that he and his girlfriend can show us round. It's going to be great and hopefully a way to put all this behind me.

PS....I know the NHS is struggling at the moment but the care I've received has been superb. Everyone I've dealt with has been so kind, friendly and thoughtful.

Edited by Guest