Leicester_H

ONE thing....................

I hope no-one is offended by this post or thinks I'm trivialising a terrible situation - I know people ARE dying and my inconveniences are totally trivial but what ONE thing do you really miss at the moment ?

For me, it playing Badminton. I used to play with an over 50s group, Mon, Wed, Fri 10-12 am. It was turn up an play - so v. flexible . About 40 (?) 'members' but only a subset of about 20 turned up each session. We had 4 courts and played doubles (usually mixed) - swapping partners and opponents. It was just the right level of competitiveness for me - quite serious but friendly.

Unfortunately, it can't be played outdoors and I'm not fit enough to play singles (any more!) and so I can't see it coming back any time soon - probably not until a vaccine regime is well established.

SO what one 'luxury' do you miss ?

H

I really miss space for me! I am foster mum to 4 boys and everything ticked along nicely, now with them and me at home all the time I am  going quite mad. My husband is really good and does most of home schooling. I have peace in am to do online Pilates and go a walk alone but am really missing all my activities. My hope is the virus will die away and not return as expected in winter. Is that what happened with SARS , it affected several countries and then died out?

• Like 1

Yes, the virus issue is serious and yes, people are dying. However, admitting and discussing our inconveniences is a perfectly reasonable part of living within the new normal; it's only when people start complaining about their lot that they come across as putting themselves first and therefore trivialising things.

For me, the thing I miss the most is meeting up with the parts of my family that aren't within my household. My mother, for instance, only lives a few miles away but she's old enough to be in the "vulnerable" category, lives on her own and is really feeling the isolation. We can certainly videoconference and that helps a lot, but what she'd really like is to meet up with us and it's difficult to see the longing in her face and not jump in the car.

That said, the recent relaxing of meeting up does mean my son, who's a keen cyclist, can include her house in some of his rides and have a good chat sitting in the garden at a suitable distance and being waited on hand and foot by a grateful granny with too much baking time and not enough appetite. Win/win.

Roll on the day everyone can pile on round ours for a big blow-out barbecue. In the meantime, I'll content myself with the idea that the lockdown markedly improves the chances of my still having family to invite round.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Clay Pigeon Shooting which they call Ball Trap here. The season is short, Feb to Sept, because it stops for hunting and is seen as practice for that, just as it used to be in England 30 years ago. After a lot of problems with paperwork, our attempts to get our shotguns here from England were thwarted by new export regulations and Brexit so we had to sell in England and buy in France. Only started last July after a 12 year break and discovered it is a very different sport here. Just before lockdown the penny dropped, a solid technique was evolved and scores began to rise rapidly. But now the distancing rules combined with a maximum of 10 on the ground at any time means a lot of waiting alone in the car, rather than chatting in the clubhouse in a group. Taken all the fun out of it for me and there is still the risk of infection anyway, so no shooting, perhaps until next year.

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd say this, but I'm really missing being at uni just so I am around other people. And it was our thing that every Saturday we would go to one of our favourite cafes for lunch, and on Sunday go for lunch out to a pub - or for a trip etc.

It's really just about interacting with other people, to be honest.

One thing I have noticed is that I am developing some weird form of agoraphobia or something. We drove to a farm shop the other day which was perhaps 5 miles from home as the crow flies and I genuinely started feeling panicked about being out in the open and that far away from home! I started wondering if it was possible to give yourself Stockholm Syndrome. lol

I am 'going' to miss our annual pilgrimage to Gower on Saturday. We know the area well, have places that we visit each time we go and a lovely cottage to stay in. Will be horrible thinking of it all there without us! Not sure that we will get away over the summer as it's so expensive.

I am really counting my blessings... I have had the opportunity to get quite a few projects done, which I would never normally have time for:

• The garden is being (early finished) completely re modelled and 're-wilded'. Hard work, but i am enjoying the journey. I have my own oasis of peace out there, so am pretty content. 
  • I have been able to spend more time on developing the freelance chicken stuff (see website below) although I really need to get some up to date photos of myself done!

Being pretty self-contained and sufficient, the lockdown hasn't been too much of a hardship at all...the things I miss are:

• Being able to see Rosie - she decided to stay up in Edinburgh, but that's fine. Mind you, we can go ages without speaking - she's not often in transmit mode.
  • I haven't been able to see as much of my dad as I'd like as he lives an hour away and is in the vulnerable age group, but we are in daily contact and he's like me... doesn't need much and is fine.
  • OH lives in London ad is usually up at least once a month - we haven't seen each other since mid-February; of course I miss him, but equally, I am not a pining type of person.
  • Oh, I REALLY need to get a hair cut - I did get the clippers out and was going to take the lot off, but ended up just trimming the back. OH is hoping to get up here soon, so will ask him to trim the rest. Not vanity, but I have very thick hair and it gets quite unruly without regular cutting.

Missing seeing family and friends the obvious ones.

Blessed with garden and although i thought volounteering wasnt for me I am enjoying it emmensly and hope i am making a difference.

Being vain my roots need doing - my hair is thick and does its own thing - for a blond I am hairy🙄and the eyebrows need a wax job.

Otherwise just freedom to do the stuff we take for granted without having to get in another flipping queue. 

Edited by Alis girls

Three things - sorry.

Hot yoga class - my studio are fantastic and hold it fantastic classes on Zoom but it’s not quite the same and obviously not as hot!

Actually seeing my work friends just to have a moan and set the world to rights.

Biggest thing - hugging my parents. I drop their shopping to them each week but can’t kiss / hug when I leave - feels really odd.

I miss family the most, my spare room used to get regular use by one of my sisters. I have a baby grandniece I'm missing, nephew and niece in law are good about sending little videos but it's not enough. I'd planned to go see some cousins in Ireland in March, not seen them since last summer.

Perhaps perversely I also miss having some time alone. I liked having the odd evening to myself with microwave meal and glass wine in front of the tv 

I miss my friends. I’ve lived in halls and student houses for 8 years surrounded by people all the time so it’s been strange not seeing them. This week I should have been back at Uni watching my friends in the year below graduate. 

I miss the pub quiz, seeing regular strangers every week.

• Like 1

Yes - it's the people. Badminton 'club' was a very social activity. Play in pairs - support each other to try to out-think the opponents - almost like physical chess.

Swap partners - play again - learning all the time - how people play - how to out-wit them - competitive in a friendly way.

Sigh - Those were the days

H

I know I haven’t had the type of lockdown you guys have had. We still got to go places and most stores were still open. But seriously...

I have never had this much freedom!

I can sit in the garden and read a book between lessons. I can eat my breakfast at home at a reasonable time in the morning. I had a commute of a whole 10 second (30 if I count the time I have to turn on the laptop) instead of a 40 min drive through slow traffic. I can eat scrambled eggs on toast at lunch. I can “mute” a student who isn’t behaving without an argument. I can send kids out without endless arguments! I had almost nothing to grade. Didn’t have to wash my hands a gazillion times a day. I could pet the cat while I was making some notes on the “whiteboard”. 

Yes there are also countless downsides... but really will going to miss this all!

• Like 2

Oddly I miss the supermarket run! I haven't set foot in any 'major' supermarket (village shops and tiny local Queue Up only) since before my hip op on 11th Feb and it seems very strange. I don't want to go until the 1m rule comes in either so that it will be as near to normal as possible, under the circumstances. I normally hate shopping but I do enjoy a good mooch around a reasonable size retail outlet from time to time!

We've been really lucky to get deliveries esp as we've been shopping for between 1 and 5 other elderly self isolaters in the village. I'll def keep a Tesco slot shop going for the future but probably once a month for bulk buying of heavy stuff/bulky stuff like loo rolls, fab softener, washing powder etc. 

I've missed the weekly Pilates class - been doing some at home but only the bits that I like so not nearly as good for me!