The Dogmother

The Weather Thread #2

Apparently we are supposed to get rain, sleet and some snow, wind chill to be minus 3. Thursday it is supposed to be minus 8, so more frozen slush to try and drive through - not nice. :( At the moment it isn't too bad and outdoor thermo says 2 degrees. Can see the tree tops swaying although I can't feel too much down at ground level.

Tuck up warm tonight everyone, keep safe!

I still don't see why schools have to close, unless their boiler breaks down. DD's school and one other were the only ones open on Tuesday in our town, so if they can open why couldn't the others. Most of our teachers live out in the sticks so it can't be that excuse. I'd rather when we had a big snowfall, local councils would just issue all schools with an official snow day so that everyone was treated fairly. And lets be honest, it wasn't even a big snowfall. People just don't seem to want to make the effort anymore.

IF we get snow in Surrey say overnight it is usually all gone by the time the kids get home from school.

I say let em be hids and enjoy it while they can :D

With us adults that love it too. My dog thought it was sooooooooooooo exciting :lol::lol:

I am sure you folks that are used to getting it can find it tiresome, but I LOVE it :!:

We have a mini revolt going on at our school which is private at the end of an almost 1mile long, flat private lane with residents dotted long the edge.

We accepted that Monday it was closed as they hadn't salted/gritted the drive & carpark & playground so everywhere was slippery, and why not let the kidlings have a snow day?! We got a text to say the school would be open Tuesday during Monday afternoon. Tuesday am we get a text to say school's closed the driveway is treacherously icy. By lunchtime there was not a s"Ooops, word censored!" of snow or ice to be seen & the air temp was well into the positives.

Our thoughts are, had they gritted the drive and the carparks on Monday (2 members of staff live in the school grounds and the landlords also live on the drive) & people been given the option of bringing their children in at 10 for example, everyone would have been happy, or are we being unreasonable?

We haven't had the quantity of snow here that they have had at my son's school on the Sussex/Surrey border, and they have a steep hill in their campus and are surrounded by huge snow drifts, yet they have carried on functioning (DS is a bit miffed that their snow fun is mainly had after dark & floodlit, as their lessons haven't been altered to give them any extra free time - bet they've had snowball fights between lessons though!!), why can't this one which is so much nearer to the coast so is never going to be as badly hit as anywhere further inland.

Sorry rant over, it's been almost spring-like here most of today I let the chooks out in my dressing gown without my skijacket & scarf which I've needed all week! The temperature has dropped quite considerably as the day has progressed, and the wind has got up too and is around 2C with -2C windchill. Brrrr! WOnder if we'll get any more snow this week :think:

Sha x

We had a severe weather warning on monday for tuesday, so all schools closed for tuesday, all day services closed typically anything to do with the council closed. All our service users were stuck at home and we were running tight on staff .

What happened- no snow! It rained all tuesday, then froze, temp dropped to -9 last night.

It was -7 at 8.15 this morning when i couldnt get into the pekins and ferrets as the lock was frozen solid.

Then the de icer froze onto the car, The roads were horrendous with black ice , the horses stable was surrounded by black ice so 3rd day in for him( not that he was complaining).

Im sure the same thing happened last year.

Mondays snow was fantastic though real , deep , proper snow, its a pity it didnt last.

Wild mum - I think it is something to do with litigation. Apparently if you clear your drive and then someone slips on it, you would be held liable. My folks used to clear their drive, paths and even the pavement along the front garden - everyone in the road used to do it. But you will notice that this practice has been long abandoned.

I heard the report on the radio today (local one that is) that the police asked everyone to only travel if necessary. So we are damned if we do - in case we clog up the services with accidents - and damned if we don't - business costs!

I say it doesn't happen that often so make the most of it. Let the big kids in us all get out and play. Next winter will be a heatwave.

Just above zero here - looked on Accuweather and it isn't supposed to freeze here tonight. It is cloudy and very still.

We've had at least an inch and a half of snow so far. OH tried to get to Reading but nly made it one juction on the motorway. There were accidents ahead and he could only do 35 miles an hour so it was going to take him 4 hours to get there, so not worth it. I couldn't help saying "I told you so" when he came in the door. :lol:

We have about 6" of snow - and there are at least 4 accidents around the M40/A46 area.

Those are just the ones which have made it to BBC Midlands - there must be many more smaller incidents - there is hardly any traffic out on the main road at the end of our drive.

Wild mum - I think it is something to do with litigation.

I know, but doesn't make it any less annoying! It does seem that common sense has taken a total back seat though :roll: .

We've had nearly 1/2in of rain over night & everything is very squidgy again, at least chooks will be able to hunt for bugs without getting whiplash when they hit frozen ground!

I'm due to go to Somerset on Saturday, hope Wiltshire's clear again before then......

Sha x

I don't think I have ever known the weather forecast get the timing so spot on. They said snow would atart at midnight and about 2 minutes past it did :shock:

We were thinking all evening that it was all going to come to nothing the sky was quite bright and there seemed to be no sign.

It is just under one degree here and the sky is still very heavy with snow, we have nearly 3 inches already, the thickest it has been for many years.

The cats have taken to their beds and so have 2 of my children. :roll:

It is really pretty everywhere, but the wind is starting to knock the snow off the trees and bushes now

Around 8 inches here in Sunny Stamford now and it's still coming down steadily. All buses have suspended their services in the area and it looks as though all the local schools are closed too. T & O have a nice day at home today! LSH had to walk 3 miles to work as there's just too much snow on our long driveway to clear so he could get the car out onto the road! I think from what he said when he phoned a little while ago, the A1 is closed near here too and many of the local roads are blocked. Stamford is like a ghost town with hardly any traffic moving through it.

Pretty much the same here. Absolutely atrocious. It has been snowing solidly for about 4 hours.

Gritters can't get up the hill and the traffic is solid utside the house. The same cars have been there for 15 mins. We can hear sirens so summat must be up.

I can see myself going out with trays of tea at this rate.