The Dogmother

The Weather Thread #2

we had thunder during a snowfall the other day :shock: what's that all about? I always associate thunder with summer storms not winter.

edit: the stuff from the sky is now obviously snow and the opticians have just rung to check that I can make my appointment....

apparently Newbury is having problems :shock:

Edited by Guest

Nooooo - I've already sent it to you! Please don't send it back again arghhhhh! :shock:

Thick sleet now bah humbug! Snowfair! :(

OH went out at 5.30 this morning, said A30 bad because of slush and no grit.

The aubiose is now wet in the girls run because of swirling wet white stuff getting in through gaps and likely absorbing the wet from the ground which is saturated and their wet feet from paddling on what used to be the lawn - now white pond with no grass visible.

Thanks a bunch Fowlbird - sleet and thunder and lightning - YUK! DD said it's "snaining"! Mum has informed me that the weather is to continue like this next week too. Is it too much to ask for a) some rain to clear it all b) warm nights and no frost and c) sunshine????

Hi Everyone

Here in sunny Pressall near Blackpool we have got frosty grass, clear blue skies and light winds at the moment.

The is a complete lack of snow.

hope those who have are safe and warm as are all the animals.

Best regards

Ian, Valerie & Baby the hen

Well the snow finally stopped at about 12.30, so we decided to venture out. It took us over an hour in my husbands van to get out of our hamlet. We were going every which way but forwards and had to dig out several times. At one point one of the neighbours brought his shovel out and gave us a push to! Luckily, i didn't take so long to get back in again.

Well, we're up in Yorkshire now - far less snow here, but very clear and cold.

Banbury was in a terrible state when we left, not helped by a burst main on South Bar, right near Banbury Cross; the road was closed! 8" of snow at home when we left and I had to dig the van out of its parking space and just let it roll down the road which was still very deep in snow. Fine once we made it to the moorway though. I have a shovel, two bits of carpet and a rug in the back of the van - my emergency snow kit! :lol:

It snowed until about midday here yesterday, then gorgeous blue skies started a partial thaw.

After a cold night, the paths are quite treacherous in the garden. No idea how things are in the village- there's no way of getting up the steep track that leads down to our cottage! :anxious: It's not too cold at the moment, 2 degrees, but feels much chillier.

Fowlbird:

nothing like that up the road from you...

It's surprising what difference a couple of miles makes - but then thunderstorms generally go around us here, so can't win 'em all. :)

At last the snow didn't completely fill my tracks up last night, although it tried. It did peter out after dark. At the moment the sun shines - sometimes but the sunny breaks are getting longer. I think yesterday it was settling faster than it was melting. Basingstoke buses were all cancelled and OH finally made it home - it took an hour and a half to do a couple of miles. Our nice neighbour across the way, Dee, tried to help our horrible next door neighbour last night when he sped into the close and spun. He then got stuck and she (saint that she is) went to help with her shovel. He was extremely rude to her and even tried to drive over her when she was still shovelling under the wheels - his wife screamed at him. He also tried to reverse over his wife and his daughter had to bang on the car to stop. The 3 women then managed to push the car into his drive after digging channels in the snow for the tyres. Not one thank you from him - although he did complain that he knew how to drive and didn't need any advice from anyone - yep, I guess that's why he got stuck and "Ooops, word censored!"ody else has. Doesn't it make you think what a lovely man he is. His wife apologised to Dee and did say "thank you". OH said Dee could have called us so we could watch - we missed it!

Taken a few piccies this morning so hopefully OH will sort them out for me. I am now wearing my walking boots down the garden because it is very slippery.

The V old B&B that we are staying in is on a rise and wehn we opened the shutters on the window of our room this morning, we saw the relection of the sunrise on the snow over the fields opposite - shame that I didn't have the camera. Sunny and cold here today in Yorks with some cloud, but no more snow. It is forecast to be VVV cold indeed tonight though!

Very cold here as well - and I've just watched the most glorious, violent, red sunrise :shock:

Red sky in the morning, shepherds warning........ :? - we'd better go and fetch more hay and get all the sheep fed and watered and top up all the feeders and drinkers for hens/ducks/quail/rabbits and bring in a stack of logs......the forecast is looking a bit dire again......