Egluntyne

Snow 2011/2012 - post about it here :-)

Nothing here, but this morning it took two kettles to defrost the drinker - it's a galvanised metal one, and the ice inside was so thick that it was forcing the metal outwards, and I couldn't open it. It took me ten minutes to defrost it, made me late for work! I'm going to fetch it indoors shortly and park it in the kitchen overnight. I'll take the opportunity to light a candle in the greenhouse as well, nothing too tender in there but I may as well give it a chance.

It was -7.4 at 7.30am this morning and is still -3, it is quite cloudy here at the moment but I think it is too cold to snow. My ED is going to a frind's house in the moddle of nowhere on quite high ground this evening and she is getting a lift back at lunchtime tomorrow. I really worry about newly qulified drivers in these conditions, but you just can't wrap them in cotton wool. I have asked her to sensible and if the weather looks bad to stay where she is. I do wish really that my OH would let her take one of our cars then at least she would be in charge of her own destiny, she is a sensible girl and a good if inexperienced driver, I am also pretty sure that if she was given this responsibility she wouldn't drink at all this evening knowing that she would have to have her wits about her tomorrow. :?

You're not that far form us, but we didn't get any last night. I understand that it's due to hit Saturday night, so my course on Sunday morning may have to be cancelled - we'll see how much we get....

My youngest has to travel to London on Sunday morning for her Auschwitz seminar.

And she flies there at 3am on Thursday morning.....& we have snow forecast on that day all day too,& the day before :roll:

Big question for the winter . . . why is it that it seems to have to get a bit warmer for snow to fall? I've always been told that this is so and experience in the UK seems to agree with this, but how come then that it snows in Siberia and the Arctic? :think::think:

Because you need that little bit of warmth to carry water vapour.

In Siberia and The Arctic it doesn't actually snow that much as the air is too cold to hold any water.

According to Metcheck we have snow forecast here for Saturday night (sorry Chrissie :( ).

Yes I have seen that too Lavenders Blue, perhaps they will be wrong, fingers crossed or it will be like the sprinkling this morning :D

Chrissie

And at that time in Fleet too.

Hopefully it will be all gone by the time we all go back to work on Monday. Mind you Fleet is forecast more snow on Monday too.