Egluntyne

Snow 2011/2012 - post about it here :-)

Olly..I hope you have a red dressing gown......I think they are obligatory for those waiting up for people to

in (at least when my friends and I were in our teens it seemed de rigueur for our Mums all to be wearing theirs in the kitchen when we got in! :lol: ) Seriously, I hope by now that she is safely home..x

:lol: I know what you mean, I think my mum had one, too!

Sister got in just after midnight - the tube gave up, and they had to get off it and walk down the track to Snaresbrook station (about three miles from here) - at which point she says the staff just abandoned them. Buses weren't running, there were no cabs, and she says she wouldn't have minded walking, but didn't know the way! There were about 200 people at the station apparently. She is over 60, and looks quite frail (misleadingly so! :lol: ) so she said she shamelessly pleaded for anyone going in the right direction, and two girls with a car kindly took pity on her and gave her a lift to within 100 yards of my door. Very relieved she is in.

Olly, that is atrocious!!!! Abandoned like that with no idea how to get to her home is awful - but, thank goodness she did get back safely.

Mh dh left for work at 5.30am but at least he got there safely (and he's not the best of drivers, despite his protestations otherwise :roll: ).

Not sure how many inches we have (boys pinced my ruler last year for exams so can't measure) but I do know I can't see my pond.

5-6"here. The bantams refused to come out of their cube this morning and look v grumpy.The exbatts charged out of their eglus and were very excited. The sheep not happy at all, its the first time they have seen snow and they don't like it, I shut them into their house for the first time last night, they usually sleep under the tree and they looked really shocked when they emerged this morning :shock: My two labradors are just running in circles around the garden barking like loonies!!! :roll:

about 5cm here (well, that's a lot for us!) the hens took a while to come out this morning, and have just about gotten used to the snow. Our bluebelle got a bit stuck at one point in the snow so she flew out! flakes are falling all the time, and it will be a great opportunity to take some snow photos! :D the hens to like eating the snow!

Woke up at 4am for work. 2-3 inches fell during the night, but it was frozen solid. Got ready, headed for the car with the dog (to drop off at Mum's) and couldn't get the car out. :roll: Skating rink.

Called work who said 'get in when you can'. Trouble is, lots of short haul flights are cancelled, so all those crew will be on stand by. I lost a 3 day trip :(:( and won't be used if I get in. Tried to get the car out again and can't. Will have to wait for it to thaw a but, although the forecast is for more cold weather. Highs of 2 degrees today. :roll:

Went back to bed for a couple of hours - Milo was desperate for another snooze. :lol: Will go in tomorrow. If I can.

Hubby and I were in Leicester for a rugby match yeterday (watching, not playing obviously!). There were a few flakes starting to fall from about 2.30pm and it started snowing properly by about 4pm. We ended up leaving the match early as we live 25ish miles from Leicester and didn't want to risk getting stuck. We had tea at my parents (who had been dog-sitting) they live 4 miles from us, and we kept an eye on the weather all evening to make sure we didn't get snowed in. When we left about 10pm, we found it had in fact been snowing all evening but we hadn't noticed because it was so fine we couldn't see it out of the window and there was a good 2 inches of snow on the ground! Not a problem except our village in on a hill :anxious: Thankfully we made it home okay, but we had to drive v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y indeed. The dog wasn't impressed, she took one look out of mum and dad's front door and hid! We had to practically drag her out to the car :lol: She seemed okay with it this morning though, as she was nice and snug in her coat.

About 4" here in north Oxon over night, but the temp is up to 2.5deg now and it is thawing. Roads are very snowy and there are reports of jack-knifed lorries on the M40 so I guess Phil will be staying here tonight as well. Rosie is out with friends... sledging. Just off out for a longer walk with dogs now, this seems to be the first snow that Cyrus has seen and he's acting like a proper Ginger Fool. :lol:

Thawing here slowly, it's falling from the trees - reckon we had about 5" in a short space of time. I couldn't sleep last night, kept hearing engines straining outside as people tried to get their cars up the hill. A lot of it is about how you drive, rather than the weather conditions - I watched two cars struggling while a third overtook them easily, and it wasn't a 4-wheel drive.

I'm really hoping it clears - tomorrow is the first day of the local Music Festival, and we should have about twenty school choirs, orchestras etc coming to perform. It would be a real shame if any of them couldn't make it. Buses are going past so I'm guessing all the main roads are clear.

:dance: Yay - made it home :dance:

Yesterday took YS to swimming comp in Sheffield - went "over the top" in the morning from Macclesfield. Left at 4.30pm and travelled via M1 and A50 - absolute nightmare :shock:

M1 - accidents due to people just going too fast - then A50 you could not even see the road markings - cars skidding everywhere, pile ups etc. Got as far as Uttoxeter then pulled into the Premier Inn (Racecourse) and got me and my 2 boys a room for the night.

A massive thank you to all the staff there - we were lucky to get a room, as an hour later they were full. Some people slept on the floors in the bar area but loads had to sleep in their cars on the A50 as it ground to a halt.

Travelled home this morning and counted 60 crashed/abandoned vehicles - and only 1 lane cleared on dual carraigeways all through stoke. Boys are now happily sledging - and cant wait to tell the tales behind the won swimming medals :wink:

We had 6.5 inches here, loads blew into the WIR so the girls were not impressed and most of them have now gone back to bed. :roll:

Photo from first thing this morning before we tramped across

079-1.jpg

The rabbits were snowed in

081.jpg

The girls looking less than impressed

088.jpg

091.jpg

We've left the snow on top of the cube for a bit of insulation.

093.jpg

And now we've shovelled some of the snow out of the WIR the garden doesn't look so pretty :(

086.jpg

3-4" here, had an entertaining evening sat in the front window watching folks failing miserably to get their cars up the steep hill we live on :lol: Then felt sorry for them and went out to help them get their cars dug out, turned round and back to the bottom again :)

The New Girls all looked round in amazement when they came out of their coop, their run is covered but you could see them all thinking "What HAPPENED?" :lol: The rescue girlies weren't overly bothered, again their run is covered up, but they soon went back into their Eglu :lol: Sunny & Eva were hilarious..again their run is covered but they were wanting to come out for a look around, Sunny suddenly didn't look quite so white any more :lol: she loved it and was nosing around all over the place :D Eva in the meantime took 2 steps forwards turned around and shot back into the run, up the ladder and planted herself in the coop again :lol:

Dug the 4x4 out and had a leisurely drive to the yard to be met by a half flooded out barn :shock::shock: One of the other horses had pulled the rubber bung out of the bottom of her automatic water bowl in the night :doh: so we helped her owner sort that mess out, half the other owners couldn't get to the yard so we did their horses for them too before heading home for MEGA bacon butties and hot drinks!

It's not too bad right now, mild and thawing out nicely :dance:

:dance: Yay - made it home :dance:

.... Got as far as Uttoxeter then pulled into the Premier Inn (Racecourse) and got me and my 2 boys a room for the night.

A massive thank you to all the staff there - we were lucky to get a room, as an hour later they were full. Some people slept on the floors in the bar area but loads had to sleep in their cars on the A50 as it ground to a halt.

Wise decision, indeed! :clap:

Medals? Did you say medals? WTG to your boys :dance:

Crikey, you've had a morning of it BizzyMomma!! What a kind soul you are :clap: (but I knew that anyway :wink: )

No signs of thaw here. Still, good excuse to have the oven on, cook roast beef and pretend I don't have anything else to do :wink: