Egluntyne

Snow 2011/2012 - post about it here :-)

Hubby and I have just been out for a lovely two hour walk with the dog this afternoon. She doesn't seem very impressed by the snow though :? (I thought dogs were supposed to like the snow?!)

The snow seems to be thawing quite quickly here. The roads are totally clear now and the grass/crops in the fields are starting to poke through again in places. I wouldn't be surprised if it's more or less gone by tomorrow or the day after - unless we get another flurry that is.

My boys took the sledges off for most of the day, I shovelled the drive and paths clear, so I can get about with out ending up on my bum! Chicken emerged very briefly for the corn thrown under the trampoline (about 3 chicken step from their cube train or a quick flap) otherwise they haven't been seen, totally unimpressed. It has been thawing a bit, but freezing and foggy now, not looking forward to our 45 min drive to school tomorrow.

Well done with the medals sarahjo. Sounds like it was quite an adventure. We've had about 4 inches. The girls have hardly been out the eglu today but we've had an egg. The dog has gone nuts in the snow. She's 5 now but behaves like a mad puppy, digging it up and chasing snowballs. I felt sorry for DS and his friends as they were all too busy with homework or part time jobs to get out and enjoy it. DS made me laugh moaning 'where has my childhood gone?' Seems to have really thawed now which is a shame.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-16894011

This is where we were stranded - though not really stranded, as I made the sensible decision to stop at the hotel.

Thanks for the medals mention - YS age 10 is quite nippy in the pool :D He came away with 3 medals out of 4 events, from a high level comp. Swimmers came from Aberdeen, Belfast, Wales and Isle of Man to compete - and Hannah Miley (Olympic swimmer) was even competing. 8)

We only did the saturday - so hence going home that afternoon. When we got back today the boys got changed and straight out with the sledge :roll:

There has been a little melting here in Macclesfield - and it's quite misty again.

Big question for the winter . . . why is it that it seems to have to get a bit warmer for snow to fall? I've always been told that this is so and experience in the UK seems to agree with this, but how come then that it snows in Siberia and the Arctic? :think::think:

Because you need that little bit of warmth to carry water vapour.

In Siberia and The Arctic it doesn't actually snow that much as the air is too cold to hold any water.

Many thanks Old Speckled Hen for your explanation. :D Also thank you for that beautiful picture of the tree. It is just stunning. :clap:

Loved your pictures too bigmommasally, of your hens not being impressed by the snow. This morning my lead hen came down the ramp and then tried to retreat backwards into the coop before she reached the bottom but found a crowd of others trying to get out. It was like the charge of the light brigade with those at the front saying 'back' and those at the back saying 'forwards' :lol:

It was good to laugh after a journey back to Oxfordshire from Kent last night when I did a neat spin to the wrong side of a roundabout. Luckily there was nothing in the way at the time and I only had a close encounter with some bollards :shock: Served me right however as I'd been cursing a 4x4 that would only go at 20 miles an hour in a few centemeters of snow. Live and learn :anxious:

Well I made it to Leicester early this morning to judge the archery tournament. Went with a friend and fellow judge but OH had to take me up to the main road, A47 in the 4x4, a 2 wheel drive would have struggled. We had about 4-5 " of snow. The main roads A43 and A47 were not too bad but in Leicester city they were much worse it did not look like the gritters had been out at all :shock:

Coming home about 6.30 tonight the main roads were clear but it was very foggy at times. Road into the village is still snowy but better than this morning :D

Hope it does not freeze overnight as I need to get to school in the morning.

Those still with snow, take care :D

Chrissie

My folks live in Hertfordshire, not that far from patsylabrador and they've had 6" of snow. I phoned this morning to check that they are OK - it was snowing slightly when they went to bed and must have fallen all through the night. Pops says that it's lovely.

It has been melting here but we still have plenty of snow on the ground and it is expected to ice over tonight. Our road is on a hill and never gets gritted, so is like a ski slope at the moment :roll: Rosie has been out with friends, sledging nearly all day and came in this afternoon, cold and wet.

I am enjoying reading all this as we have diddly squat snow :dance: I realise I have jinxed myself and we will now gets lots :roll:

We have had freezing days and nights which resulted in frozen pipes again but on the whole is has been quite mild. Didn't even light the stove or the kitchen fire yesterday.

I am actually enjoying this winter :D

I was out at 0630 for a trip which should have taken two hours, but actually took 3! :roll:

The radio kept repeating: "Yellow ice warning - not the ice, the warning for ice .... black ice on roads ... lethal .... "

I may have been ok if they had said it once, but every 10 minutes it seemed they kept repeating it - doesn't instil confidence :roll: Then after just half and hour hit some really thick fog :pray: Got through all of that, then, near my final destination, got lost and ended up going in circles :lol:

Journey home only took 2 1/2 hrs and was far less stressful.