surfer_chicken

Bad news :(

So sorry to hear about your Dad :(

My Uncle died last year, totally unexpected, aged 58. My Aunt and cousins got things sorted out (dressed him in his every day comfy clothes and his slippers in his coffin 8) ) but it took time to work through things and please don't beat yourself up if you don't immediately think of everything that needs doing, some things slip the net and only come to light later on (subscriptions, old accounts). My Aunt is now just about ready to sort out my Uncles stuff and his shed and garage. My Dad is going to help her, she couldn't face doing it earlier and I expect it will be a painful process for them both.

Lots of good advice given here. And there are lots of ears and shoulders whenever you need them. Hugs xxxxxxx

Best thing to do would be to contact a Solicitor who will advise you how to apply for a Grant of Letters of Administration. This is what they use for someone who dies without a will in place. It would have to be your Mum who would be granted this as it usually has to be a Spouse. They will also be able to advise you on what to do about the bank etc. You need to speak to one quickly so it can be put in place. Most Solicitors give half an hour free advice time on an initial visit.

So sorry to hear your news. Hope you can find the strength to keep going through this sad time. :(

I would like to add my sincerest condolences to you and your family. What a horrible shock for you all. I can't add anything to all the fabulous advice given, but do try and accept help from anyone who offers. And take care of yourself as you'll be no use if you run yourself ragged.

Don't forget, we are all here for you. Many virtual (((hugs))) coming to you.

I'm really sorry :(

Glad Uni are being supportive - you should be able to get extended deadlines or as you say, do your exams in August. As you're in First year (I think) you will need to pass but the grades aren't usually taken into account for your final degree grade so look after yourself and your family and think about Uni when you're up to it.

My flatmate's dad passed away in first year, also unexpectedly and Uni were also supportive - Student Loans were able to help him and I think they have a team for these kind of situations.

Sending virtual brummy hugs too x

Sending some more virtual hugs from a complete stranger.

You will have a lot on your plate for the next few weeks - just don't forget to look after yourself, and give yourself time to grieve. As others have said, accept all the help you are offered - don't feel you have to do everything. And when you do go back to Uni, it might be worth seeing what counselling they offer - it might help you through a tough time of re-adjustment.

You and your family are in my T&P's.

So sorry to hear your news :(

Don't worry about anything to do with uni; they are very good at helping you deal with work/deadlines/exams when this type of circumstance happens. 1st year (are you in 1st year?) just has to be passed with most courses, as Lewis said.

Don't have any other helpful information to add, just that it'll be important for you to take care of yourself at this time, not just those around you.

I hope you find things easier soon x

So sorry to hear your news Penny. That must have been such a shock.

No advice to add except remember this will take time to recover from when the initial activity and shock has passed. You may find taking your exams in Aug to be too much when it comes to it and repeating the year is not the end of the world.

Look after yourself and your family.

My condolences to you and your family. Once the initial arrangements are made and you return to your studies I recommend that you seek counselling for yourself.

Your University will have a counselling service and I suggest you do speak to them to help you through this difficult time.

Love and a long hug from me x

Thank you again for all your kind words and help. We've had a lot of help over the weekend, with my grandparents down to look after my mum and lots of family to help us with jobs. My Dad was halfway through decorating my little brother's(14) room, so my future brother-in-law who's a self-employed decorator was finishing that; my uncle has done all the small DIY jobs Dad never got around to doing and his wife helped my mum go through all Dad's paperwork so she knows what she's doing now.

My Mum and Dad made a will together when they bought our house over 27 years ago, it was some sort of package deal with the solicitor. She remembers the name of the man they saw, and we have the documents from buying the house, but nothing to do with the will. She rang the solicitor this morning and they said they have no record of us and or the name of the solicitor they saw (who Mum thinks died a couple of years ago, and he retired from the company in 2000, but he seemed like quite a big part of the company growing, so we're surprised they didn't know of him). Apparently the will was quite basic though, that everything would go to which ever of them went first, so it's not much to worry about at the moment. She's also contacted the mortgage people as it was a joint mortgage and to see if they knew anything about the will.

Also my aunts (Dad's sister) husband is a funeral director so he's going through all of that side of things very well with us. Mum needs to pick up the death certificate etc. tomorrow morning and then we can start thinking about dates, but it won't be until at least next week.

I'm going back to uni Wednesday afternoon until Saturday morning because I have some more things I need to pick up as I left in a hurry. It'll also be nice to see my friends up there, as all my friends at home are at their own universities at the moment. I'm not sure if I'll go to any lectures or my lab at the moment, I might for something to do, and I'll definitely head down to the counselling service the uni runs. I am in first year, I'm 19, so I know I only really need to pass. I sort of had my heart set on the masters degree they run though, which is a year in placement between 3rd and 4th year. To be considered for that you need to have a high GPA, but it's high at the moment and I'm sure the uni will take it into consideration when the time comes for applying for the masters.

It sounds like you've got a good support network around you in such a difficult time. Hope your trip to uni goes ok, I guess you can see how you feel when you get there as to whether you go into lectures and it will be good to have your housemates around you for a few days. Take care of yourself xxxx