Old Speckled Hen

Snow

Where are the snow ploughs? I've not heard anyone mention them this year at all, and some of you have had considerable amounts of snow. Surely they should be attempting regular clearance of main roads at least :?:?

It has been snowing heavily all morning. Andy is stuck at work. His work place is on the A96 the main road between Inverness and Aberdeen, he has walked up to the road and says it is at a standstill. He has a twenty mile journey to get home. He is going to try and get away in half an hour or so weather and road depending, he did hint he might have to stay at work :shock::( if the roads are really bad.

The snow novelty has definately worn off now, I wish it would melt.

I hope your OH manages to get home safely today ali-s, it sounds really bad up there.

The snow ploughs here have been totally pathetic and it is thanks to farmers with snowploughs on the front of tractors that most of us get out and about - they can send men to the moon and we have space stations in space but we cannot deal with a little white stuff called SNOW :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Has anyone seen anywhere to buy those snow shovels you see in america with wheels on they look great!

The snow ploughs here have been totally pathetic and it is thanks to farmers with snowploughs on the front of tractors that most of us get out and about - they can send men to the moon and we have space stations in space but we cannot deal with a little white stuff called SNOW :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Has anyone seen anywhere to buy those snow shovels you see in america with wheels on they look great!

That's really bad :evil: Thank goodness for those farmers! I remember seeing snowploughs in North Yorkshire when I was little, and the huge drifts by the side of the road that they left :D It was so exciting, I believe I thought they were actually making snow at some point :lol:

The shovels sound good!

I've vowed to attempt to clear the front of my property from now on despite the risk of being sued or stupid H&S rules or whatever it is which stops folk doing this. I always have at least 3 kilos of cheap salt in the house (less than 50p per kilo from the supermarket) and in the winter I always carry over half a kilo with me, in an old plastic Ovaltine jar, in the car just in case I get stuck on a hill somewhere, there's enough salt to enable me to get some traction and escape :D

Andy made it home :D

It is still snowing :twisted:

I haven't seen any gritters since the last day of school. A gritter went down the road half an hour before Natalie got picked up in the school bus, that was on the 23rd December. Maybe our road is not a prioity when the School is finished. Bet the gritters are out tomorrow it being a Bank Holiday and probably triple time at least.

Jack was on a driving lesson in town this morning, he saw a tractor with a plough attachement skid going round a roundabout, the tractor ended up ontop of the roundabout.

Happy New Year all, we have travelled to North Wales and drove through 6 inches of snow, but by the time we reached our destination on a lower level there was none. The children were gutted.

We left BIL's early not wanting to drive back in freezing fog on freezing roads after midnight. :roll: It's a beautiful clear night here, the moon is so bright and reflected off the snow on the surrounding hills :D bloomin parky though :lol:

I've watched the sun rise this morning and it is the most beautiful day, cloudless and nicely cold but dry 8)

We've had a good frost overnight so everything is twinkly, and have had a light dusting of those teeny snowballs, as they are all over the garden, no doubt the hens are trying to eat them :lol:

Happy New years morning - to go with the 12 inches or so we have lying we have more overnight - about 3 - 4 inches more and soft fluffy great for snowballs snow if you really want to make snowballs :!: I have had to dig the girls out again and they are not amused but came our for porridge and corn and the cats have nowhere to go and hate to use the litterbox at all!. I have to go and feed a friends cat about 20 minutes trudge along the main road as it will take me that to dig my car out and would have to dig the other end! - so need to go and shower etc now - have a great day - I must admit the trees are just gorgeous and will try and capture the snow on them and post later on. Its all very white at the moment and snowing again.

Great pictures :D

We haven't had that much. Our snow is now melting :D

A gritter with a plough on the front went up and then down the road this morning :roll: As the snow is melting it is probably not needed.

Thats good Ali-s - its coming off the trees but it has been snowing and its awful here - I walked to my friends to do her cat and the one half of a main trunk road has been ploughed and the other half has not = trouble getting off the road when a vehicle came along and hard work walking in it but beautiful - more forecast and snowing on and off all the time. Hope thats it for a while - I cannot get the car out yet again!.